When life gets busy I admit I’ll whip out a box of cereal or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner. I’ve been working hard to get out of this bad habit and I thought I would start sharing some of my favorite FAST and EASY dinner recipes.
Today I’m sharing one of our family’s favorites, Sausage, Lentil and Rice Skillet. Even our children love it. It is a fast and easy recipe that your whole family will enjoy!
Sausage, Lentil and Rice Skillet Recipe
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup dry lentils
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- 1⅔ cups chicken broth
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese for topping
- Salsa for topping
- In a large saucepan brown the sausage until it is cooked through.
- Add onion and green pepper, and saute until the onions are cooked.
- Stir in the lentils, rice and chicken broth.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- We like to serve these with monterey jack cheese and fresh diced tomatoes or salsa
* Photo Credit: Simply Rebekah (Thanks Rebekah!)