Before And After – Create a Kid’s Closet

by Donna on March 23, 2012

Our children have been sharing a bedroom for about 8 months now.  We first moved them into the same room when my mother moved in back in July and they have been sharing a room ever since. When my mother moved out last month, we made the decision to  keep them in the same room.  The love sharing a room so we didn’t see any good reason to switch them around again.

In order to create more open space in the room I had this grand idea to get rid of the dressers.  Claire had an old 1970′s dresser that was big and bulky and Caleb was still using his changing table/dresser.  We needed more storage for their clothing and I wanted them to have easy access to their own clothes so they can get dressed by themselves and help put away their clean clothing.

My solution:  Get rid of the dressers and make the large closet a “kids closet”.

This is the closet with all it’s clutter

Empty Closet – Clean Slate!

The organized kids closet finished:

Organized kid closet

TaDa!

We are so thrilled with how it came out.

Here’s a closer look.

Pj’s, Underwear and Sweatshirts. Shoes and Bed Sheets are stored on the floor. I love that this new setup allows Claire to help me put away laundry, and she loves to help!

Organized kid closet shelves

I found this cute organizer w/ mirror at Target on clearance for just a few dollars. It is perfect to keep all of Claire’s fun , jewelry and hair bows. Calebs ties are also stored at the bottom. I’m surprised how well it worked out. I still need to find a better way to hang it up but it works for now!  The kids also have a “bucket” for their socks.  These buckets are actually little hanging planters from Target.

Hanging children's jewelry and hair organizer

Hanging clothes above 3 drawer storage containers. Our “Play Clothes” are for outside play. Dirty playtime. We keep ripped jeans, stained shirts and even some almost-outgrown clothes and use those outfits for play clothes. This way I don’t have to worry about the kids ruining their nicer clothes and I can let them get a little messy without having to scrub out stains!  Every home needs a Mix & Match Sock bin, this is where those lost socks end up.

Organized hanging kids clothes. Children's clothes in drawers

Here’s what the room looked like before:

The dresser was covered in random stuff!  That’s the problem with me and flat services… they are just calling to be covered with crap!

And here is the room after (We will need to move the changing table/dresser out)

We are loving our new set up and it’s nice to finally have the closet cleared out and to finally use the closet more efficiently.

Most of the items that were in the closet have since been organized in the attic.  We were able to donate or throw away a lot too.  The rest, well… our “spare room” is now a mess!  We’ll be tackling this mess next!

Today I’m linking up over at Simple Mom for her Project Simplify!

Pin It

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

LoveFeast Table March 23, 2012 at 10:00 am

That is awesome ~ I’m inspired…tiz the season!!!
~Chris Ann

Donna March 23, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Thanks! This warm weather really makes me want to tear apart the whole house and reorganize. This is just the beginning!

marci@overcomingbusy March 23, 2012 at 10:28 am

I’m totally linking to this! I am working on closets this week and posting inspiration links. This is awesome! Great job!!!

Donna March 23, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Thanks Marci! It was a fun project because I knew the before and after would be so very drastic! The kids really love their new room, they call it the “dressing room”. Thanks for sharing my post with your readers! :)

Jenn @ The Purposeful Mom March 23, 2012 at 3:21 pm

This looks amazing! I love how you just plain old got rid of dressers and did the bin thing. I’m thinking that might be a good idea for the room our older two share, since they don’t really *need* the whole dresser.

Visiting from the Project Simplify link-up!

Donna March 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Jenn, Thanks for stopping by. Yes it was quite a freeing thing to just get rid of the dressers. We moved the long dresser into our living room for now. You may just see a dresser re-do soon! It’s just so unnecessary in the kids room. The bins have been working great, Claire (5) can grab anything she needs without creating a huge mess. It’s been working out great!

Rebekah from Simply Rebekah March 23, 2012 at 10:53 pm

This project has “Donna” written all over it! Labels, color coordinated bins, major organization… You are just so awesome.
Rebekah from Simply Rebekah recently posted..Pregnancy Advice Swap – Part 4 (bottles & formula)My Profile

Donna March 25, 2012 at 10:48 am

Ha! Yes, it’s a signature “Donna” project and I actually finished it! Finishing it is the unusual part! I’m on an organizing kick! It’s lots of fun!

Steph March 24, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I.LOVE.THIS! Soooooo cute and organized. Well done! And their room looks so adorable, I would want to spend all my time there. It’s so happy looking. :)

Jessica March 25, 2012 at 9:12 am

How did I miss this post?!?! I love it! I think my favorite part is the sock bin/ planters. That’s soooooo smart! And you know me, I totally appreciate those labels :)

Donna March 25, 2012 at 10:51 am

I knew you would like the labels. I’d like to laminate them and hang them from the baskets but I’m just happy I got this much done!

Jessica March 25, 2012 at 9:14 am

P.S. I think I’m going to have to go to Target and try to find that storage thingy with the mirror! Awesome!

Caroline72 March 26, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I’m inspired to clean my room after i saw these..I can see that its good to see that our room is clean.
Caroline72 recently posted..Meet Jane B, Our Biggest HCG Loser, Read one woman’s story of how she went for overweight and little self esteem, to feeling fabulous and looking great! Read her story now….My Profile

Nicole June 9, 2012 at 11:11 am

I’ve been toying with the idea of putting our kids in the same room too. I just think it would make for some fun memories for them! But I’m a wimp and scared they will keep each other awake all night!