Today I’m sharing another family favorite recipe… Egg Roll Stir-Fry also know as Egg Roll in a Bowl!
I stumbled across this recipe when I was on Pinterest looking for low-carb meals. We’ve had it dozens of times and tweaked it to make it perfect for our family. This is a really money-saving meal as the cheap cabbage really bulks up the recipe!
Our kids even love this recipe, it is our 6 year old son’s very favorite dinner! Even your meat-loving hubby will love it, I promise, give it a try!
I usually buy ground pork or turkey when it’s on sale and bag it up and freeze it just for this recipe. The recipe also calls for sesame oil and I highly recommend that you run out and buy some just for this recipe, it is the KEY to the authentic flavor!
Without further ado – Here is our recipe for Egg Roll Stir-Fry:
- A splash of sesame oil (yes you can substitute but it is so much better with sesame!)
- 1 lb. ground pork or turkey
- 1 medium head of cabbage sliced thin (aprox. 4-6 cups)
- 2-3 shredded carrots
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves (I use garlic paste in a tube, no mess!)
- 1 tsp ground ginger (I use ginger paste in a tube also!)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Mix garlic, ginger and soy sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in pan, add ground pork and cook until browned.
- Lower heat and add chopped onion and cook until browned.
- Add cabbage, carrots. Add in garlic and ginger mixture.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes allowing cabbage cooks down, making sure to stir often.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Take off heat and serve hot.